I decided to go for the 'base first - paint second' approach. I tested whether the individual figures remain accessible, and that seems to be the case, so I glues the figures and put some texture on using cork, grit and some vallejo sandy paste thats is way past its date. Seemed to work nonetheless. Here are the miniatures, after priming with Army Painter Army Green
Second step is the base colours. I used a mix of GW colors and Vallejo (FOW Range) but the FOW US set seems to have no para uniform green, so I mixed that up using catachan and green grey with a hint of knarloc green. I'll see how it looks once it's dry.
Back row is a leader (non marked as yet) and a bazooka team.
After getting some feedback I corrected the base colors of the weaponry, painted the boots in red leather, helmets in catachan (olive drab wannabe), and repaired some basing holes where a chunk of grit fell off. Then onto step three: washing everything with a dark brown dipping wash.
Fourth step involves painting on some detail, adding highlight to the uniform, using a khaki + 20% olive to get the typical off-khaki of the M42 airborne uniform. Or so I hope.
Here are the units after flocking, I though about going back in to correct some small details, you keep seeing stuff you can improve when you're painting through a 2,4x magnifier lens, but on the table I think they look just fine. Not bad for a first set.